Friday, May 22, 2009

A day of firsts for our family!





On Saturday May 16 our family had a couple of milestones. The first one was the completion of my first (and probably last) marathon!!!! After 16 weeks of training I was so happy to finally be running down Ogden Canyon. I didn't finish quite as fast as I'd hoped for, but my ultimate goal was to just do it, and I did it! The weather was perfect and the scenery was gorgeous. After I crossed the finish line the kids were playing on a playground in the park while I got my piece of bread and Jamba Juice (there was better food at the finish lines of my 10K and half marathon, that's for sure!). When I went over to get them I saw JR crying under the slide and I knew right off that he was really hurt. The last thing I wanted to do was go to the Doctor after running 26.2 miles, but what is a mother to do? Justin had to go to work, so we ran home so that I could have a quick shower and then it was off to the instacare. 2 1/2 hours later we had x-rays confirming two broken arms. Neither Justin or I have had broken bones, nor any of our other five kids, so this is a first for our family. Now that he has his casts on life is much better because he can bend his elbows and touch his fingers to his thumbs. The five days of splints were enough for me, it was like having a baby again. I had to feed him, dress him, open doors for him, buckle him in, and even help him put his shoes on. The doctor expects about a month in casts so he should be free by the time we go on the family camp out to the lake!

4 comments:

Soccer Mom said...

CONGRATS! That is totally AWESOME!!! Way to go! You are SUPER Woman!!!!
Sorry to hear about JR! I had a friend do that trying to dunk the basketball, unfortunately both of his casts went past is elbows!!!!

Katja mit Fabian und Florian said...

Hi from Germany,

I found your blog by chance.

My son, Fabian, age 10, is wheelchair bound since he fell from a tree two years ago.

It was a very hard time for all of us after Fabians accident. The moment when the doctor told us, that Fabian is paralyzed and the moment when we must told him that he never walk again, was so terrible. Especially terrible was the day, when Fabian got his first wheelchair. I still cry when I saw him sitting in his wheelchair at the first time.

But Fabian is so brave! I am so proud of him.

Since his accident Fabian visits a school for special needs kids. All other kids in his class are disabled, too. The most kids must use a wheelchair, tree kids can walk with a walker / quad canes.

Every Saturday Fabian visits a sport group for children in wheelchairs. Two hours they play together in their wheelchairs. It is so funny for the kids.

Two month ago he got a new “Spidermann”-wheelchair.

If you are interest I will send you some photos of him in his new wheelchair.

When Fabian was 5 years old, he broke his left arm. In hospital he get a full arm cast for nearly six weeks. All his friends signed his cast.

When the cast comes off, Fabian had a mulit colored work of art.

I hope all friends of JR sign his casts and he will become two mulit colored work of art, too.

I will be glad about a short answer mail.

Best wishes Katja
(Katja.Kretzler@web.de)

Boer Family said...

You are amazing!!! No wonder i couldn't get a hold of you, it was a busy day! We will be down for Syd's graduation I hope to see you then.

Elizabeth said...

Go Colleen!! I'm so proud of you! Sorry to hear about JR's broken arms. What a bummer!